United States responds to Ebola outbreak in DRC, Uganda with aid of US$ 13mln

In a latest statement, the U.S. Department of State said it had activated a coordinated interagency response within 24 hours of confirming cases linked to the outbreak on May 15, establishing an incident management system in Washington and deploying diplomatic missions across East and Central Africa to monitor developments

KAMPALA, May 20, 2026 — The United States has mobilised an initial US$ 13 million [about Shs 48.1 billion]to support efforts to contain a growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo [DRC] and Uganda, as Washington intensifies measures aimed at preventing the disease from spreading beyond the region.

In a latest statement, the U.S. Department of State said it had activated a coordinated interagency response within 24 hours of confirming cases linked to the outbreak on May 15, establishing an incident management system in Washington and deploying diplomatic missions across East and Central Africa to monitor developments.

U.S. embassies in the DRC, Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan have established monitoring teams tasked with tracking the outbreak and communicating guidance to American citizens in the region.

The Department said the response was focused on “protecting the health of Americans at home and abroad” by containing the outbreak before it reached U.S. territory.

As part of the emergency measures, the United States worked with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] to introduce a Title 42 order on May 18 barring entry to foreign nationals who have visited the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.

The State Department said it was also coordinating with the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. military on the possible repatriation of affected Americans, depending on exposure risks and medical needs.

The initial US$13 million in foreign assistance will support surveillance systems, laboratory testing, risk communication, clinical treatment, safe burial procedures and screening at border entry and exit points in affected countries.

Washington indicated that additional bilateral funding for outbreak control and humanitarian relief was being prepared as officials assess the scale of the crisis.

The latest intervention builds on existing U.S. health partnerships with both Uganda and the DRC under the America First Global Health Strategy, including long-term investments in disease surveillance and outbreak detection systems.

The Department also said it was drawing on previously committed humanitarian resources channelled through United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs [OCHA] pooled funds to accelerate emergency assistance on the ground.

Earlier this month, the United States announced US$ 1.8 billion in additional contributions to OCHA pooled funds globally, including US$ 250 million earmarked for Uganda and the DRC, part of which is expected to support the Ebola response.

American officials are also leading donor coordination talks in regional capitals alongside the European Union, the United Kingdom and other international partners in an effort to avoid duplication and strengthen emergency operations.

Health authorities in the affected countries have yet to provide a consolidated figure for confirmed infections and deaths linked to the outbreak, but regional governments and aid agencies are racing to contain transmission amid fears of cross-border spread.

The Ebola virus, which causes severe haemorrhagic fever, has repeatedly triggered deadly outbreaks in Central and East Africa, with health experts warning that rapid intervention is critical to preventing wider regional and international transmission.

https://thecooperator.news/africa-cdc-declares-ongoing-bundibugyo-ebola-outbreak-public-health-emergency-of-continental-security/

Buy your copy of thecooperator magazine from one of our country-wide vending points or an e-copy on emag.thecooperator.news

Exit mobile version