HOIMA, May 21, 2026 — The election of new officials of the Parish Development Model SACCOs [PDM SACCOs] in Hoima district has resumed after blood samples from a suspected Ebola patient tested negative.
District authorities had also suspended market operations along the shores of Lake Albert following fears of an Ebola outbreak in the area. However, the markets have since resumed operations.
The PDM SACCO officials are being elected in sub-counties of Kiganja, Kapapi and Kisukuma. This follows a recent directive from the PDM Secretariat that PDM SACCOs across the country hold fresh elections, a move aimed at wiping out corruption in the implementation of the programme.
Under the PDM, beneficiaries through their parish SACCOs receive soft loans of Shs1 million from the government to invest in income-generating agricultural projects such as coffee growing, piggery, poultry keeping and fish farming, among others.
According to the Acting Hoima District Health Officer, Dr Lawrence Tumusiime, the blood samples taken to the Uganda Virus Research Institute [UVRI] in Entebbe on Monday belonged to a man from Runga Landing Site in Kibiiro Parish, Kiganja Sub-county.
Tumusiime said the suspect had presented Ebola-like symptoms, including dry flu-like signs, severe gastrointestinal complications, and possible internal or external bleeding, prompting health officials to rush him to Hoima Regional Referral Hospital. This prompted district authorities to temporarily ban community gatherings.
The official said that although the samples tested negative, the district health department remains on high alert following the recent Ebola outbreak in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo [DRC] where over 130 deaths linked to the disease have been reported by the country’s health authorities.
He added that Hoima district had deployed health workers at the Uganda-DRC border entry points to carry out screening exercises.
“Since Hoima lies along the Uganda-DRC border and forms part of the Lake Albert region, the district remains vulnerable to possible infections entering from the DRC,” Tumusiime said.
He noted that the district had already put in place several measures to contain the spread of the virus should any case be detected.
Tumusiime added that health teams are currently screening all people entering the district from the DRC, as well as those crossing Lake Albert waters, to ensure authorities are not caught unprepared.
Businesses resume operations after release of results
Hoima District Secretary for Production and Natural Resources, Hillary Tumusiime, said the district had temporarily suspended operations of markets along the shores of Lake Albert over fears of spreading the virus.
However, following the release of the negative test results on Wednesday, the district lifted the ban and allowed markets to resume operations under strict observance of standard operating procedures [SOPs].
He said market leaders had been directed to provide handwashing facilities, including soap and water, at all market entrances to ensure people wash their hands before entering.
Tumusiime also confirmed that the district had resumed the selection and training of PDM committees, which had earlier been suspended due to Ebola fears because the exercise involved large gatherings.
He noted that the selection process would also be conducted in compliance with SOPs and urged officials overseeing the exercise to strictly adhere to the guidelines.
https://thecooperator.news/new-reforms-rolled-out-to-strengthen-pdm-sacco-governance/
Buy your copy of thecooperator magazine from one of our country-wide vending points or an e-copy on emag.thecooperator.news
